Saturday, July 26, 2008

All In For God

I love alter calls because to me it is the real truth of watching God work in the heart of a sinner. To watch a broken person gain hope, with nothing more than belief and longing in their heart is beautiful.

Last week, our pastor gave a call and the first brave gal to go forward got on her knees at the bottom of the steps leading up to the stage. As the first one she set the example, everyone else who went up that night to accept Christ also got on their knees. It was a wonderful sight to behold; these broken and longing people humbly coming to the Cross in hopes to be made new again.

I couldn’t get the image out of my head, and then today while running, I heard a song and it all came together. The song is by Toby Mac and is called All In. The lyrics say “I’m letting go of everything I am/And I’m holding on to everything you are/I’m letting go of everything I once was/I’m all in, I’ve fallen into your arms again.”

That is what was so moving about those people on their knees and that is what is so awesome about an alter call. We go forward, approaching the Cross on our knees looking to be all in to the Lord, because we realize we are all out of answers. Whatever we had been doing in the past wasn’t working, so we are approaching scared and unsure but knowing that we have to let go of what we have in order to grasp what we know the Lord to be. That’s why it says Psalm 55:22, “Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you.”

This is how we should approach God not only the first time but every time. We have to let go of this world, our lives, our hopes, our dreams, our expectations and be ready to hold on to Him and His world, His life, His hopes, His dreams for us and His expectations for our life lived for Him.

God help me to approach you always with hands open to all you have and all you are, holding on to nothing of what I was. Help me to always fall into Your arms because they are strong and will always catch me especially when I am all in for You.

No comments: