Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bad Dream, Good Friend

On Tuesday a dear friend, who is one of the best things in my life, told me about a dream she had about the two of us. The dream was quite vivid and in telling me about it you could tell she was shaken. Goose bumps rose on her arms and a catch could be heard in her voice. In the dream, I was in danger, I was lost and confused and being stalked by a dark figure.

All my friend could think of was to get to me, get me found, get me safe and even do battle with the dark figure. As we pieced the dream together and made assumptions on what it could have been representative of (I am a little lost and confused at times, and the evil one seems to always lurk during those times) we realized there was a lot of symbolism in her dream.

More than anything I was blessed that even if it was a dream, my friend was fiercely protective of me. She would even risk her own well being to fight the dark creature that was trying to do me harm. It made me feel loved and also made me realize that I am not walking alone in this life. I have people that God has placed around me to strengthen me, encourage me, and even to battle for me and alongside me.

John 15:13 says "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." This is what my friend did for me in our dream, but it doesn't compare to what Christ did for us on the cross. He laid down His life so that we could be free and could have eternal life. I hugged my dear friend and thanked her for defending me in what wasn't even real life; but I loved her heart that she was so bold in her dream. Sadly, it reminded me that I don't often approach the cross and thank my Savior for the real thing that He did to save my soul.

As I sat there feeling loved by a dear friend, I felt the overwhelming love of my Savior wash over me and reassure me once again that while my friend might battle in dreams, Jesus battles for me daily.

Lord, thank You for sending us gentle reminders of the price You paid in our defense. It has been said repeatedly "He came to pay a debt He didn't owe, because I owed a debt I couldn't pay". Thank You for paying my debt and making me free.

1 comment:

kari said...

isn't is awesome to know that in the midst of our dark times, HE is there, defending us, protecting us, loving us.... how great to have friends who demonstrate that love!