Saturday, May 30, 2009

When The Rain Comes...

Lately, it seems like more and more people I know are in a time of struggle. From feeling the sting of death as my sister in law’s father passed away to many friends and family around me struggling through financial hard times; all around things feel bleak, like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The other day I had lunch with my brother and in the midst of all that was going on, I felt sad that life has to be this difficult. I felt hopeless because I had no answers for any of the questions and I had no solutions for any of the problems; I felt powerless.

As I headed back to work the song that came onto was Third Day, “When The Rain Comes”. I sent a text with the lyrics to my brother, “I can’t stop the rain from falling down on you again, I can’t stop the rain but I will hold you ‘till it goes away.” That’s how I have felt with all of those around me going through struggles. I can’t stop the rain from coming down, but I can be there holding your hand until they are gone. I noticed it said, “I can’t stop the rain from falling down on you AGAIN.” Inevitably, the rain will come, again and again, but if we are there for each other bearing one another’s burdens as it says in Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ,” then we find the way to persevere.

Jesus tells us in John 16:33 that trials are a sure thing to come in this world, but that we can have peace knowing that He has overcome the world. We have to know that the rain will always come, but that He always comes with it. Sometimes it feels like we want to run away, another part of the song says “When the rain comes/It seems that everyone has gone away/when the night falls you wonder if you shouldn’t find someplace to run and hide/escape the pain/But hiding is such a lonely thing to do.” We want to run but I have to believe this song is straight from the heart of Jesus. Though the rain will come, He is there holding on to us. He promises us “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:28-29)

Jesus wants us to know that in Him, we will find rest. The song finishes “Rest awhile/ it'll be alright/No one loves you like I do/When the rain comes/I will hold you.” This is the promise of the Good Shepherd who loves us and will never leave us. No one loves us like Jesus and no one will hold us safely in their arms like He does.

Just to reassure me further, the very next song that came on was also by Third Day and started “To you, O Lord, I lift my soul/In you, O God, I place my trust/Do not let me be put to shame/Nor let my enemies triumph over me/My hope is you/Show me your ways/Guide me in Truth/In all my days.” In God our hope lies, “I will lift my eyes to the hills—From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121: 1-2) I knew in my heart that God was reassuring me that though it seemed like there were no answers or solutions, He really is the answer, the solution.

That night, my brother came over for dinner and we ate, we joked, and we laughed…and it rained the whole time.

Jesus, thank You for bringing the rain and for meeting us where we are when it comes. Thank you for holding us in the midst of the storm, quieting our hearts, and reassuring us that it will pass and that you will stay with us until it does.

M.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we may not know what happens tomorrow or the next day but we do know that it is better than we deserve..Praise God for the Cross that our sins are forgiven and we are no longer in bondage to sin but are freed by the precious blood of the lamb and no matter what trials, or tribulations or persecution, or sufferings come our way we can rejoice that we have Jesus and he is enough for us his Finished work on the cross

Bobbie said...

God has definitely given you the talent to tune in to peoples' hearts. Thanks for reminding me our Lord is always there. He lifts us in our struggles and rejoices in our triumphs. Praise the Lord!